Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Alpha and The Omega

22:12-16 “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. 
“I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.” 
Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city. 
But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie. “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work.    
“I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.”

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last. To change the Greek to simple English, Christ is saying, I am the "A" and the "Z" in the alphabet; He may also have meant, I am the one who started The Church and I will be with it when the Church moves to heaven; maybe He also meant, of all the things that matter to you I am the first and you will find nothing beyond me that matters more. 


In 22:7 are these words, Behold, I am coming quickly! In the previous post I said, there is nothing to indicate that it was Christ that was speaking.  It is the angel, which is talking to John, who said these words.  However, here, in 22:12, Christ starts speaking again, as is clarified by 22:16, and from the description He gives of himself in 22:13.  Also, that it is not the angel that is speaking in 22:12, is obvious from the fact that it is Christ, and not the angel, who will reward his servants.

My reward is with me to give to every one according to his work.  To reiterate a thought made concerning 20:14, Christ will reward even non-Christians who have lived good lives and done good deeds; not only Christians will be rewarded - every one according to his work.

In 22:13, Christ is claiming for himself the attributes that God, His Father claimed for Himself in 21:6.  Christ is the Son of God, why would He not have the same characteristics His Father has!  This is readily acceptable, even though the Son is not equal to the Father as Trinitarians insist that He is.  A human child also has the characteristics of its parents without being equal to them.

Blessed are those who do his commandments has been changed by the newer translations to blessed are they that wash their robes.  With variations in the wording.  One difference is that The Living Bible has it as a continuing operation; are washing their robes.  With clean robes, they have a right to partake of the tree of life and they may enter in through the gates into the city.  Outside the city are dogs, sorcerers, those who are sexually immoral, murderers, idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.  The Jews used the word "dogs" to refer to Gentiles because, according to them, Gentiles are ceremonially unclean.

We need to remember that we are now in the epilogue of The Apocalypse and not in one of the “videos”.  Therefore, when Christ is speaking in the present tense, it is to be understood as referring to The Church age.  That is, the period of time when The Church is living on the earth, and that is why this reference to murderers, sorcerers, etc. is still applicable.  In 21:8 we learned that those groups of people are being eternally punished.  So that in reference to time, 22:15 is actually in effect before 21:8 transpires.

I, Jesus, have sent My angel.  This is the same angel introduced to us in 1:1; He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John.  Perhaps, it is the same angel, which we met throughout the book, John's host. 

I am the Root and the Offspring of David.  Christ is both the source of David's lineage and He is also the continuation of it.
==========================================
Throughout this study I have indicated that I believe that Jehovah is a saucerian; next I will take a close look at many of the incidents and teachings in the Bible, and point out that the Bible actually substantiates my belief.  This may seem far fetched to you, but if you come along with me you might see that my thoughts are not as weird as they at first appear to be. Please join me at:                                                    http://spaceshiptheology.blogspot.com/2013/07/introduction.html